Ready to Take the Plunge? Web Site Go Live Checklist
(This is part 3 of our 3-part series focused on migrating to a new site domain).
Here at Outlier we launch multiple sites a month. Some are sites on a new domain, others are totally new. Regardless of which category your site fits into, you always want it to perform well. You want those old inbound links to keep working and you certainly don't want to lose any of your SEO juice!
There is a saying here at Outlier--"No one really wants a website, what you want is leads, customer interactions, and exposure from your website." You know... results! But what do you need to do to make sure all this happens?
Make sure your launch gets you started off on the right foot.
This is a quick checklist we use here at Outlier when we're ready to launch.
We hope this helps you the next time you think you're ready to take the plunge, too. If you have any questions Contact Us.
- Create 301 redirects for all old pages
- Double check your robots.txt
- Double check your sitemap.xml
- Scan local files for any changes in domains, any lingering dev code (//@TODO).
- Update CMS settings:
- If you use Drupal (like we do) this may include:
- Site Information (admin/config/system/site-information)
- Files paths (admin/config/media/file-system)
- Update any 3rd party scripts, sites, and bios that may require a license or registration. (Example: TypeKit.com)
- Update Analytics
- Update Adwords and other 3rd Party Ad Servers
- Update Google Webmaster Tools and equivalents
- Update local directories such as Google Places/G+ Yahoo Local!, etc. (Only really needed if the domain name changes.)
- Update your social accounts (Make sure any links in your profile link to a new page and not a 404 or a 301)
- Update any business directories (BBB, Vertical Directories, etc.)
- Go Live!
This checklist is interactive and availble to copy on Checkmarkable →